Wednesday 19 December 2012

Really Random Wednesdays

#1.  Why is it my intended 10 minutes to check the social media inevitably turns into an hour or more? It just sucks me in and doesn't let go!

#2.  What the hell was I thinking going to Toys'R'Us on a Saturday afternoon ten days before Christmas? There wasn't room to swing a cat in that place and the selection was really picked over as well.

#3.  Where does the expression, "Not enough room to swing a cat" come from? I can't imagine why you'd want to swing a cat, as you'd probably end up with a lot of bite/scratch marks.

#4. Pet peeve of the day: Why do we tell people who've lost weight that they look great? This bugs me. Not only does it imply that they did NOT look great before, but it implies that you must lose weight in order to look "great". This is thinly veiled fatism. There are plenty of people out there who are overweight and still look great. I know the health nuts will disagree but it's the truth. A number on a scale does not make a person beautiful. I've known plenty of "normal" people who were ugly on a number of levels.

#5. Why is it I'm not touching the mouse but the cursor is migrating all over the screen anyway? (cue the spooky music)

3 comments:

  1. Hey babe. I can answer the one about 'swinging a cat' - it refers to using a 'cat o'nine tail's' as a flogger and the swinging of it is the action of flogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've always got answers for me! That makes much more sense than swinging an actual cat. There's me once again demonstrating my ignorance of instruments of torture/pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I am expert at knowing about instruments of torture.... on the other hand I am good at trivial pursuit!!

    ReplyDelete